Good morning! Last night, I made this delicious chicken casserole, except it was enchiladas with rice. Or chicken enchiladas, except it was a casserole with rice. Or rice enchiladas with chicken casserole. Ahhh! My mind is boggled. Who knows? Anyway, ultimately, I found this recipe on Pinterest, so yes, another win. 🙂 Yay me!
I have made this once before and my boyfriend was like, “Needs more cheese!” (See, major cheese lover!) So I added wayyyy more cheese this time, almost two pounds. Yes, that is a lot of cheese. Don’t give me that look; it was on sale.
This time, he says, “Can’t taste the cheese. So cheese sauce maybe?” And of course that got my wheels turning. Oh how many different things I could try!
I did adapt this recipe from Jo Cooks, and I left out quite a few things, yet it was still amazing.
3 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
1 1/2 cups of dry rice (I used Kroger brand)
2 (10 oz) cans red enchilada sauce (I used Kroger brand)
1 (16 oz) can of refried beans (I used Rosarita)
3 3/4 cups of shredded cheese (I used a Four Cheese blend)
1. Preheat oven to 350* F
2. Cook the rice according to package. It should be 2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice. I also added 3 tablespoons of butter to give it a little extra taste.
3. In a large bowl, mix the shredded chicken and enchilada sauce together.
4. Mix in the beans, and about half of the cheese. Combine until it is all mixed together.
5. Grease a 9×13 pan, and pour in the enchilada mixture. Cover the rest with the remainder of the cheese.
6. Cook for about 25 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly on top.
7. Serve with sour cream, salsa, or anything you’d like.
All the best parts of enchiladas in a casserole form. Try it out and let me know what you think in the comments below!